Wednesday, February 4, 2015

TAG ALONG BLOG CHALLENGE #75: RETHINK GESSO

I am delighted to have been asked to host the Tag Along Blog Challenge this week.  This will be an interesting challenge for most, so take a moment to read this post and watch the video before beginning your tag for this challenge.  

Before joining the Stampotique Originals' Creative Team (2014), I was an avid follower of the Stampotique Designers' Challenge Blog.  I followed most of the Design Team Members' blogs, but one in particular that I never missed was that of Design Team Member Sarinda Jones.  One blog post of Sarinda's stands out in particular for me.  On November 5, 2013, Sarinda was the host of the Stampotique Designers' Challenge and asked us to "rethink" gesso.  We all know how to use gesso as a prep for our substrates, and how to use it to lighten up or even cover up, when necessary. But, few of us use gesso as a creative tool.  Before reading the rest of the blog, I would like to suggest that you take a moment to view a YouTube video created by Sarinda to show us new ways of using gesso. 

For my tag today, I have used Technique #3 from the video. Once dry, I used Dylusions spray inks to add citrus colors to the gesso, with sprays of water to blend my colors.  The detail on the bottom left was created by using the Tim Holtz "Honeycomb" die and orange card stock from my stash.  I placed the framework of the die cut against my tag to use as a template and adhered the small pieces from the die cut to my tag.  I had to move the template a couple of times to get the pattern that I wanted.  

Next, I adhered a piece of orange ribbon to a piece of green ribbon, then adhered both of them to the bottom of my tag to serve as a "ground" for my image.  "Portland" from Stampotique Originals was colored with LePlume II markers, then whitewashed with gesso deluted with water to tone down the colors a bit.  Once dry, Portland was adhered to my tag using pop dots, then I added a layer of Wink of Stella to give her some shimmer'n'shine against the mat background.  

My birthday sentiment was added using a Hero Arts stamp.  The ribbon at the top and the button were added from my stash.  



I am also entering this tag in the Stampotique Designers' Citrus Color Challenge #181.

I hope you will find time this week to use gesso in a new way on a tag for the Tag Along Blog challenge. I appreciate both your visit and your comment today.  If you have not already done so, I hope you will sign up as a follower of this blog. Additionally, if you would like to receive an e-mail when I update my blog, you can sign up to "follow by e-mail," as well.





31 comments:

  1. Wow, the detail on this is great. The tag is so big, one has to scroll to see it. The colors and texture really pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the gesso stenciling - exquisite texture! Such a fun piece from top to bottom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Kay that is a stunning Tag, can see why you are suggesting to view the YT video, would love to see how to do this technique. Thank you for the link will check it out later:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya gotta love that Wink of Stella, just enough shimmer. Great color combo and texture. What a creative idea to use the button and tie the ribbon around it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how your lime reacts with the gesso -- looks eatable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful, vibrant tag, Kay. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful tag,Kay. I don't use gesso enough,only for basic stuff so I shall check the video out. Thanks for always inspiring us,you are one fab lady ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love this Kay, beautiful. That gesso in the background is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous tag, Kay!! Thanks for sharing Sarinda's video! I just learned a few new techniques :) I hope to make it over to Tag Along to join in your Rethink Gesso challenge!! I'm re-thinking right now :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab tag Kay, I need to watch that video as great effect with the gesso achieved
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Kay, this is wonderful. I always smile when I see your creations and I thank you. I love how you used the ribbon and the texture in this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kay, I love the gesso texture that you created, it looks very tempting to try, loved Portland and the way you coloured her, the button with the ribbon is amazing! Fabulous tag!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Portland is so lovely, she really pops against your stunning background!! Love your tag and your challenge Kay, as I also love Gesso.. Thanks for the link on Sarinda's video, I remember it a bit but will look at it again, it probably well deserve two viewings. Don't know yet if I will have time to join in, not sure despite I would love playing with you!! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, gesso can be such fun to play with, love the 'veiny' look you achieved here. Easy to achieve and no two will ever be the same. Fabulous tag and those colours really come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this Kay! I must admit I just use Gesso as an undercoat, but I now need to bump it up my tool list after seeing what you have done with it here. Your tag is wonderful, perfect for my citrus colour challenge. Enjoy your weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool way to rethink your gesso Kay! Well done on this tag! Love it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Today's read is an adventure in gesso. Your tag turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE your tag, Kay!! Thanks again for linking Sarinda's video--I watched it and learned several new gesso background techniques--I LOVE THAT!! As a matter of fact, I gesso'd up 4 tags yesterday to experiment with the techniques--now I just hope I have the time this weekend to do 'em up for Stampotique SDC #181!! :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this tag, Kay - one of my favourite techniques (whether with gesso, paint, ink or mediums) - and I love the bold fresh colours. Loved Sarinda's video too - thanks so much for that link.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooohhh kay.. you created some yummy texture on your beautiful tag. It is just adorable and is making me want to grab my gesso out and start playing. Thank you for the link to the video, great inspiration.. 😊😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's fab Kay, I love the background xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. The gesso looks wonderful and I love the citrus colours... great way to use the honeycomb too. Makes for such an interesting background. Love this Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This tag screams SUMMER! Such a perfect creation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry Kay did not find the time to join in but your tag is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. lovely and vibrant, adore the hexagons you have added x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, fabulous tag, love the textured background. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  27. This gal always cracks me up. Love the funky texture you've added behind her.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I want to run and make me a gesso'd tag. This is fab. Love the texture and the lovely colours. You got me all inspired girlfriend. Mr Mojo has been a bit depressed today, what with all the rain and the things I should be doing!!!! So, shall I make chocolate cookies or go get inky??? Decisions, decisions..... Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome tag Kay! I love this background!
    Thanks for joining us at the Stampotique Designers Challenge :)

    xx Arwen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment! Your kind words are appreciated and serve as inspiration to me.